12.18.2012

On the 1st day of Knitmas...

My true love gave to me... that's not going to work! Neither Grace nor I are your true loves, I'm assuming; nonetheless, I have a beautiful pattern to share with you today.

Meet Bumble Stripes:

bumblestripes2


This pattern is just plain pretty, probably because I love bees! They're beautiful little creatures. I've had an interest in them since I was a child and that's why I've always loved yellow and black together. Grace's Bumble Stripes pattern not only features this lovely color combo, but it is also knit in a gorgeous linen stitch which makes the colors blend together so beautifully. The other cool thing about this scarf is that it is knit out of lace weight, which probably makes the wrap so light and nice to wear. I'm always fascinated by the use of thinner yarns in stitch textures uncommon for their weight. Look at the lovely texture up close...


bumblestripes3


Here's some info about the knitting pattern direct from Grace herself:

Bumble Stripes

Sizes (shown in a small):
S (L)

Finished Measurements:
Width: 8.5”
Length: 57.75 (91)”

Materials:
Size 3 U.S. ( 3.25 mm) needles

Yarn:
MC – 1 (2) hanks Malabrigo Lace (100% merino wool, 470 yards per 100g skein), shown in #35 Frank Ochre.
CC – 1 (2) hanks Malabrigo Lace, shown in #195 Black.

Gauge:
36 sts and 76 rows = 4” in linen stitch

This is one of those projects that was a UFO for FOREVER! I never had any intention of publishing this pattern, but every time I pulled it out people loved it and told me they couldn't wait for the pattern. So I thought about it and decided to publish it.... my hesitation was that it's just a linen stitch... but the actual pattern is in the stripe sequence, which really just makes the whole design. In the end I finally finished the scarf (that I intended to be for me) and then published the pattern... which now means that the scarf is part of my trunk show. I guess I'll just have to make myself another one.

If you aren't a fan of lace weight yarn (or patience) you can easily modify this pattern by just altering the cast on to fit your gauge... just make sure you cast on an odd number. I think I'll make this again with a heavier gauge yarn, maybe even one of my own hand-spun.... keep on the lookout for what I do next :)

I hope you've enjoyed today's pattern feature and remember that to be in the running for a winning PDF copy of this pattern, you need to enter the 100th giveaway here (the comments for this post have been disabled). Follow the instructions at the bottom of that post to enter. I'll be back tomorrow with this pattern's lovely, squishy yarn prize!

Hugs & stitches!

-Ve